Are you moving as a first-time homeowner? If yes, then you should consider many things to make the entire transition as stress-free as possible. After all, homeownership is something you can always look forward in life. So if you’re getting ready for your first move, here are five moving ideas you should keep in mind to help you get through the process.
Whether you’re relocating as a first-time homeowner or not, packing remains one of the exciting parts of the process. So long as you have a plan in place, packing will not be as hard as everyone thinks. Here’s how you can make packing much easier and faster:
- Buy packing supplies such as boxes, tapes, and colored markers.
- Pack all your decorative items first so it’ll not be difficult to put them away and you don’t need to worry about their whereabouts later on.
- Walk through each room and start sorting all your belongings out. Identify which items you want to sell, donate, and keep. If you decide to donate some of your things, designate a donation box which you’ll give to a local charity near you.
- Mark boxes accordingly to make it easier for you to unpack. Be sure you take an inventory of what items you’re bringing with you. Secure a copy of the list for yourself and the mover in case an item gets lost during the move.
- A few days before your actual move-in date, prepare a bag of essentials that you may need during the first day or two in your new place. These things include toiletries, clothes, and essential documents. Make sure you take these documents with you wherever you go so they will not be misplaced.
Look for a moving company.
When you’re moving for the first time to your new home, the first thing you should do is to find customer-friendly movers. Find time to research and go online to look for reviews for local movers. Try to figure out which among them have the highest ratings and then check their websites. After you’ve narrowed down your choices, you can start asking questions so you’ll get to know the moving companies better. Request for price estimates and compare licensing requirements and insurance policies. Don’t forget to inform them about the moving date and other relevant details. If you want to save yourself from paying hidden fees that may come along with a last-minute booking, it’s essential to hire a moving company a few weeks before your move. That way, you can plan, prepare, and organize all your tasks prior to your moving day.
Prepare for home changes.
From the moment you’re taking care of everything before moving, it’ll also help if you begin preparing all the things to make your new place a home. Below are a few things to consider when preparing for home changes:
- Think about whether you need new pieces of furniture to fill in your space.
- Be sure your décor matches your new home.
- Invest in having a sufficient storage space
- Make sure your builder will conduct an orientation to familiarize yourself with your new home’s appliances and systems.
- Get your new dwelling place inspected for any electrical issues and plumbing leaks. contact an emergency plumber as soon as possible in order to fix everything.
Everybody including you wants to feel comfortable in their new home, which is why it’s best to plan ahead and get ready for the move-in day.
Get prepared for the moving day.
If you want to make the big day a little easier, be sure you have a plan for everything including your kids and pets.
- Create a plan where your pets and younger kids can stay while you’re moving their boxes.
- Another important thing to do if you’re moving the first time is to update your address followed by your banks, lenders, magazines, subscriptions, and utility service providers. It’s also recommended that a month before you relocate, you need to create a list of all the things to ensure everything is finalized.
Also read – Small Living Room Ideas on a Budget
Your moving experience doesn’t stop from paying the movers, unpacking all your stuff, and signing all the papers. As an official homeowner, you also have to work things out to get settled in.
- First, find time to educate yourself about the rules and regulations in your new area. Try to know whether there’s a homeowner association in the neighborhood.
- Never hesitate to get yourself acquainted with your new community. Explore the place, meet new people, and enjoy the amenities.
- Once you’ve fully settled in, it’s time to hold a house-warming party and celebrate your homeownership.
Being a first-time homeowner can be a great endeavor. The idea of moving to your new home can be undoubtedly an exciting experience to remember for a lifetime. With a moving checklist on your side plus the help of some people like Movers NYC, you can get the most out of your relocation. Just keep these moving ideas in mind, and you’re on your way toward having a fresh start in your new home.