Mildew and mold are two types of domestic fungi that thrive in warm, humid, and dark environments. These fungi have a foul odour and are the source of a variety of viral diseases and illnesses. Mold spores can stick to small dust and dirt particles on a mirror or windows. It cannot develop on a clean mirror because the surface is not porous. However, dust and debris on the mirror’s surface create a breeding ground for the fungus. Mildew and mold damage the glass’s surface and are difficult to clean and remove.
Removing mold from glass and mirrors
Vinegar is a weak acid that can kill up to 82 percent of fungus and molds that live on glass surfaces. White distilled vinegar is mostly used as a homemade cleaning solution that can be sprayed directly on the glass surface without mixing it with water. The majority of the mildew or mold can be removed by gently washing down the affected area after spraying it with vinegar.
Hydrogen peroxide or chlorine bleach
Hydrogen peroxide is a powerful antifungal agent that is commonly used to kill bacteria and viruses. Chlorine bleach has the same strong oxidising hydrogen peroxide solution that kills fungus while also sterilising and disinfecting the glass surface. The treatment is especially effective at removing black mold, which is one of the most difficult types of household mold to remove. If you have poor health or you don’t want to take a risk, you can hire professional house cleaners to tackle the problem.
Add 2 tablespoons of ammonia to 1 gallon of warm water, and mix them in a bucket. Dip a clean cloth into the ammonia solution and remove any excess moisture by wringing the cloth. Using an ammonia-soaked towel, wipe the mirror’s surface. As mold stains lift from the mirror, rinse the cloth at frequent intervals. To eliminate any lingering mold spores or spots, add more ammonia solution and clean the mirror again. Dry the mirror thoroughly.
Some cleaning products are environmentally friendly cleaners since they are made with materials that are not detrimental to the environment. If you prefer to use a commercial cleaner, study the labels to see what the product’s ingredients are and whether it is environmentally friendly. If you want to go green, use reusable cloths instead of throwaway paper napkins.
This method is non-toxic and does not affect the health of anyone. Baking soda and water combine to provide a powerful cleaning solution that can be sprayed onto the mirror or window and cleaned away with ease. This is one of the most frequent and cost-effective cleaning solutions for mold and mildew in the home. When cleaning mold from any surface, it is wise to wear a mask and wear gloves to avoid inhaling dangerous mold spores.
Lemon juice is an all-natural, non-toxic mold remover that leaves a fresh, clean scent. Its acid concentration of 5% makes it efficient at removing mold. Lemon juice can be purchased as a concentrate or freshly squeezed at home. It should be applied without diluting it to remove mold. You can apply it to the mirror either by soaking a scrubbing sponge in it or using a spray bottle.