Most offices will relocate at one point in time. Often, we get tired of old rooms, stop feeling comfortable in small cubicles, and the company’s office space is no longer able to satisfy our needs. At this stage, we start to think about moving. There are few ground rules which can save you from immense pain while doing this daunting task. The most common mistake is we rush and take rash actions trying to move an office. It forces us to make hasty decisions. Go through the checklist below to avoid such pains for you and your co-worker and prepare your office moving in the best possible way.
Here is an approximate plan for the move of a small company that moves on its own and has allocated one day (during which it does not work with clients) for the action:
- Visit new premises, make agreements with the owners of the premises.
- Revise the state of the new premises, drawing up a list of necessary improvements.
- Decide on a possible date of relocation and get consent from the owners.
- Regulate the composition of the working group for organizing the move.
- Distribute functions in the working group, interact with suppliers, responsible for fees, liable for preparing the new premises, responsible for preparing for transportation, transportation, and installation of equipment, etc.
- Create an inventory with a compilation of a complete list of equipment, furniture, and company documents.
- Purchase of packaging material like films and paper for furniture, boxes for documents and equipment, etc.
- Transfer all documentation (which is not in permanent work) and accessories by the company employees responsible for the packaging fees.
- Search and select the best moving company new jersey or any other place you are located, ordering a van, packers, and working loaders.
- Make lists for bringing in and taking out things.
- Coordinate the move with the guard of the old office (signing of take-out permits)
- Coordination of move with the security of the new premises.
- Finalize packing of all documentation and accessories.
- Stick label and put a description of the contents of the boxes.
- Disassemble the furniture.
- Furniture packaging.
- Equipment packaging.
- Prepare new rooms.
- Draw the layout of workplaces, determining the arrangement of furniture (plan-scheme)
- Replace lighting.
- Install telephone lines, sign a new one, or update existing service contracts.
- Change of electrical wiring for a new arrangement of workplaces.
- Make the required number of keys.
- Arrange room cleaning.
- Make lists of employees and hand them over to security for preparation of passes.
- Obtain the House Rules for the new building and familiarize all employees with them against signature.
- Draw up a travel plan to the new office, indicate the exact address, phone numbers, and send it to all employees.
- Make changes to advertising and information materials to the site about changing the coordinates of the company.
- Notify all clients about the new company address.
- Conduct a meeting of the working group, check the readiness to move, distribute functions among employees who are not part of the working group for the actual move.
- Notify all employees about the move’s data and their functions during the movement, appoint process managers and explain their tasks.
- Packing things you still needed the day before.
- Take items out of the office efficiently.
- Load things into moving vans.
- Transport to a new location.
- Unloading machines.
- Delivery to premises.
- Unpack the furniture and install it.
- Unpack the equipment and installing it.
- Unpack essentials
- Check the work of communications, equipment, preparation for the next working day.
- Unpacking and arranging other things (archives, books, rarely used documents and accessories)
- Room decoration (certificates, posters, flowers, paintings)
- Arrangement of standard rooms (meeting rooms, dining rooms, reception rooms, dressing rooms)
- Issuance of passes to employees.
- Execute a change of address, taking into account the requirements of government agencies.
How to Organize Moving “On Your Own”?
Organizing the move “on your own” is much more enjoyable. Many employees can be involved in this process by properly organizing them, get well-coordinated, efficient work. Let everyone feel that they are appreciated, they need his help, and that he is a part of one friendly team.
The first thing to do is to revise and throw away everything you don’t need. Next, create an initiative group among the company’s employees – there is work for everyone, the main thing is desire! Be sure to appoint a person responsible for preparation and relocation in each department or division. For everyone, define a specific amount of work. Having prepared all the equipment for packaging, you can get to work. It is imperative to mark all items and boxes to avoid loss. Try to pack everything rationally and compactly: books to books, stationery to stationery, etc. Everything you brought to work from home makes it better to take it back home in advance. As for office equipment, you must put all the cords from it in boxes with it. It will assist you in quickly obtain everything you want to connect the equipment when unpacking. Let the employees deposit all the archives in advance with the secretary or clerk to be more reliable.
Moving furniture is the most cumbersome part of the move. It can be transported both disassembled and assembled. If you have chosen the first option, it is advisable to call a furniture specialist who will correctly disassemble, pack and fold everything. Payment for services of this kind is determined for each unit of goods separately. A specialist can be found in any furniture company. There are disadvantages: the costs can be pretty high, and frequent disassembly and assembly (perhaps this is not the last move) do not have the best effect on the furniture.
If you decide not to disassemble the table, you still need to prepare it for transportation:
- Remove the glass from the cabinets and wrap it in thick cardboard. Close the cabinets with a key.
- Wrap it in cardboard and seal the boxes with adhesive tape.
- Wrap the chairs with plastic wrap and a sign.
It will be proper first to move the sizeable heavy furniture, and only then everything else.
Ordering a car with movers is not a problem now. If there is a lot of property, then it is better to use two machines at once, organizing four loaders for each. Then the process will go faster. While one is being loaded, you will unload the other on the spot. By the way, do not forget that if there is traffic congestion, you will also have to pay for “downtime.” We do not recommend leaving the movers unattended (ensure that the work is carried out carefully to avoid damage to furniture or office walls).
The employees should be divided into two groups. Some supervise work in the old office, others – in the new one: they show where to unload and what to put. It is good practice to clean the old office after the move. So take care of that too. Moving organized independently will save exactly half the amount that the transportation company will have to pay. However, the choice is yours, so please be patient and optimistic. A detailed office relocation plan will help you coordinate the process and organize the work properly. We wish you a quick and high-quality move to your new office!